On August 9th, 2009, Singapore, the tiny red dot in South East Asia celebrated its 44th Birthday.
In commemoration of this important day (marking the tiny isle’s emancipation from Malaysian rule), the Straits Times invited its readers to submit 44 reasons for their love of Singapore.
As explained by Editor Susan Long,
“There is no end of rational reasons of course and we can all reel them off: the unbeatable Changi Airport touch-down, our new megawatt Orchard Road, clockwork public transport system, reassuringly low crime, well-run government, National Service-forged camaraderie and subsidised school fees.
Then there are near and dear reasons like the 24/7 smorgasbord of food available, the comfort of kopi-o on Sunday mornings in Crocs sandals, eccentric neighbourhood buskers, the evocative appeal of Singlish and affectionate community cats that sidle up for pats.
We have our idiosyncrasies as well, endearing obsessions with campaigns, durians, queues, acronyms, and giving French names to the oddest of things. If they make us look a bit eccentric to outsiders, hey, what do they know?”
On August 9th, I found myself in the midst of discovering many of Singapore’s quirky concepts, facts, and details for the first time. I didn’t know a whole lot about the deep history of this place, but what I did know what that I had found a safe, adventurous, interesting, welcoming, and comfortable home away from home in less than a week’s time.
Now for some interesting things I learned on Singapore Day: the Singaporean Flag and Coat of Arms explained...

• White color – purity and virtue
• Red color – brotherhood and equality
• Crescent moon – young nation rising
• 5 stars – 5 national ideals: democracy, peace, progress, justice and equality
Finally, this is a video from the fireworks celebration (courtesy of my American roommate Danny Chapman). At the end of the video there is footage of this little kid running around in squeaky shoes – all the rage in Singapore. I will be getting myself a pair shortly.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWow, that american kid sure sounds cool. He takes some neat videos too. Is he related to Steven Speilberg? Have you seen him in Hollywood North?
ReplyDelete